Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Wedding Anniversary: My Father's Parents

Today is the wedding anniversary of my father's parents.

My father's father, August Gellert, was born on October 20, 1878 in Poland. He died in World War I - a cook in the front lines - in 1915, at the age of 37... So young!

My father's mother, Helene Hartstock, was born on November 24, 1890, also in Poland. They were married on November 24, 1908, which would have been her 18th birthday.

They went on to have three children: my father (Wladyslaw), his sister (Elsie) and another son who died as an infant, whose name I don't recall. I'm not sure if he was older or younger than my father.

Seven years after her husband's death, my grandmother remarried a man named Julius Domke (son of Johann Domke and Wilhelmine Listke). They had at least three children. Two - Walter and Lydia - eventually immigrated to Canada. But the youngest, Emma, remained in Europe. Emma had two sons whom I met, when I visited Germany with my mother, to put a headstone on my father's grave. (My father contracted meningitis and died in 1994 while travelling in Germany and Poland with my mother, on a greatly-anticipated vacation to the village where he was born.)

My father's siblings who lived in Canada were part of my childhood. We visited back and forth, and I got to know their children well.

My father's mother, Helene immigrated to Canada when she was in her early 60's, after the death of her second husband. Most of that time, she lived in Edmonton - but she did spend one year living with my family in Hay Lakes, babysitting my 2-year-old brother while my mother taught in Kingman, returning home only on weekends. My grandmother died when she was in her 80's.

Should any of my children be interested in genealogy, as my mother was, I should add that my father's father, August Gellert, was name after his father, August Gellert (born around 1860). His mother's name was Elizabeth Albrecht.

My father's mother, Helene, was the daughter of Edwardo Hartstock and Othelia Krause.

No comments:

Post a Comment