Sunday, June 25, 2017

Moon River Memory

When I was sixteen, my goal in life was to travel, to see the world... A hit song of the day, "Moon River," became my personal travel theme song...

A few years later, I did start to travel - most significantly spending 10 years in Israel, studying at the Hebrew University, then teaching at the Anglican International School. When I returned to Canada on vacation - three times in those 10 years - I spent a few days in Europe. Traveling became an important part of my life.

A few months before finally leaving Israel to return to Canada, I attended a Henry Mancini concert in Jerusalem. Mancini had written the music to my theme song... Listening to him play "Moon River" took me back to the young girl I had been... and to my travel dreams...

Something equally surreal happened as Terry and I were returning from PEI...









We spent our final vacation day in Quebec City.

Sitting in a French bakery, we were entertained by an accordion player.

I didn't pay much attention - until he started playing "Moon River"...

I sat there dumbfounded - again remembering the 16-year-old with traveling dreams - that I had been.

No comments:

Post a Comment