Friday, June 2, 2017

"Creeping Charlie"

My mother used to define a "weed" as a plant in the wrong place. Her horticultural studies must have taught her not to view plants as "good" or "bad."

I've been trying to get rid of a very invasive "weed" called "creeping Charlie" - also known as "ground-ivy" - before it takes over our lawn and flower beds.

It's definitely unwanted and in the wrong place in our yard!!






But I have to admit that it looks beautiful at this time of the year in other people's yards!

Another surprise! Researching this plant - I've discovered that it's edible! Its leaves apparently have a minty flavor; they can be added to soups and salads...

Why is it that I can't even imagine harvesting "weeds" like dandelions and creeping Charlie, even though I've read that both are nutritious foods?!

Dandelions were apparently brought to the New World from Europe - for their medicinal properties! I wonder if creeping Charlie was as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment