Thursday, June 15, 2017

Green Gables

The book "Anne of Green Gables" made a lasting impression on me when I read it as a child.

Later, as a teacher of English to immigrants, I used it as a reader to introduce my students to Canada as it was 100 years ago.











The young heroine, an orphan, had reason to be sad - but chose to see the bright side of life.

That's one reason why Anne makes such a strong impression on all who read the book.









Visiting Green Gables was like stepping back in time, for someone like me - who remembers farmhouses like this before there was electricity and running water.











Even the austere hired hand's bedroom reminded me of places I knew in my childhood.












What I see here may be quite different from what young tourists from around the world see...












But I'm so glad this place exists - to provide a glimpse of what life used to be like in Prince Edward Island - and in many places in Canada...











And this year - Canada's 150th anniversary - all parks owned by the federal government are charging no admission fee all year.

An additional incentive to visit Green Gables!

No comments:

Post a Comment