Friday, February 3, 2012

Knitting Dilemma

I recently posted a blog about starting a mohair afghan out of yarn I found in my mother's stash. (I have no idea what project the yarn was originally intended for!) I wanted to try a new pattern, knitting a square on the diagonal. The project was progressing well. Although the stitches were loose, I had no idea how big the blanket could end up. (Or what I would do if I ran out of yarn!)














Color-wise, the pattern is pretty random... Bold blocks of bright color separated by bands of purple, knit on the diagonal: casting on five stitches in one corner, INCREASING ONE STITCH AT THE BEGINNING of every row, until the desired diagonal width is reached, then DECREASING ONE STITCH AT THE BEGINNING OF EVERY ROW until the last five stitches, then casting off.

I had used more than half my yarn, but the blanket still wasn't very large - so I panicked! Better begin to decrease. Even so, I might not have enough to finish the blanket. WHAT TO DO?!! Where could I find a similar acrylic/mohair blend? (I was pretty sure the yarn was decades old.)














One local yarn store has an amazing selection (and a room full of discounted yarn in the back), so I headed over.














Perhaps they would have something I could use...














Sure enough, there - in the discount room - I discovered several shelves of mohair/acrylic blend!














I chose this mauve that will hopefully fit the bill, although it's a little thinner than what I'm using.

(I'm not sure what I'll do if it doesn't work! Being impulsive has its risks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment