Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Learning To See in a New Way

I enjoyed sketching and painting when I was in my teens...














Recently, in the basement, I came across these two portraits I painted back then (in oil). At the time, my passion was painting faces... and horses! Now I want to learn to draw buildings, and scenery, using pen and ink...














... like this framed picture I picked up in a second-hand store. But I have so much to learn! So I signed up for a drawing class, the basics. Our first class was spent, not drawing, but beginning to learn the tools of the trade - pencils - and what they can do. We practiced creating different shades, as we will be drawing in black and white (and shades in between).














It's harder than it looks!














I've decided to do a little "homework" and try to draw this (colored) picture of a plate of food that I tore from a magazine. After my initial attempts - and discovering how difficult it was to determine which shades to use, I decided to photocopy the picture in black and white!














That should make my practice easier!














I think we'll be discussing perspective in our next class, but I hope she touches on how to create different textures too! (Or is it simply a matter of trial and error?!)














I feel like a child learning to hold a pencil properly! But I guess we all have to start at the beginning.














It's fun to try new things. Now I'm viewing my world in a different way (... in black and white and shades of grey).

No comments:

Post a Comment