Sunday, February 5, 2012

Don't Leave Praying to the "Sick and Shut-In"!

Christians often imply that prayer is the perfect "work" for those who are too old or too ill to do much of anything else - the "sick and shut-in." The idea seems logical! When you can do nothing else, you can still pray. (My minister implied something like that a few Sundays ago...)

I never questioned it myself until I was hospitalized for about a week - and then spent a month or so recovering at home, unable to do much of anything.

During that time of weakness, I had no energy for prayer. And, frankly, I was hoping that others were praying for me!

My experience is that prayer is hard work requiring stamina and strength...

There may be some elderly shut-ins who are "prayer warriors" and spend large chunks of time praying for others, but I suspect they were seasoned in prayer before becoming "old and shut-in."

I also suspect that many who are sick and shut-in hope that someone is praying for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment