Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I Don't Understand... Sports Fans

After the last Super Bowl, when "my husband's team" lost in a close game, my husband was VERY, VERY, VERY disappointed. (Would "devastated" be too strong a word?) Looking at him sitting quietly on the sofa the following day, I realized that (after 35 years of marriage) I really did not understand him. In fact, I really have no inkling what it means to be a sports fan... (And here, it would probably be useful to point out that "fan" is short for "fanatic"... something I have never wanted to be!)


















To me, sports is a game (a GAME) where one side inevitably wins and the other side inevitably loses... (A tie would leave fans of both teams angry: Someone has to win!) So, as my husband sits glumly after the game, I say things like: "It's only a game..." And "There's always next year..." Or "They are both good teams, but someone has to lose." But none of this lifts the cloud hanging over his head...

I realize that whatever is happening in his mind and emotions is something beyond my understanding... It is as if I had lived in the tropics all my life and someone mentioned snow or freezing rain... I wouldn't have a clue what they were talking about.

I am puzzled by the whole "my team" concept. How is it "your" team? I mean, you have no financial investment in the club. Your only investment is an emotional bonding that happens... I have no idea how.

I can understand disappointment. I have been disappointed, too. But this deep sadness is something I don't understand... unless someone - on either team - had been seriously injured while playing.

My perspective is: You had a wonderful time cheering for your team all season. They did very well, but they lost the final championship to another very good team. Let someone else be happy... Be happy for them! Share the joy of winning!

There's always next year to look forward to... I know you will.


And you're right: I really don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment