Sunday, February 26, 2012

Psalm 151 ?!

I love to read the introductions to books. In fact, I sometimes prefer them to the books themselves! In the introduction the author often gives the reason for writing the book, which I find fascinating in itself.

I was recently reading the introduction to the Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible when I came across a reference to Psalm 151... Really?! I always thought that the Bible had 150 psalms! Reading on, I discovered that, as Bible researchers study old texts (some of which are only now being discovered or translated) as well as Bibles from other traditions - such as the Ethiopian Coptic and Greek Orthodox churches - they are discovering new things that existed thousands of years ago, but were somehow "lost" to European and North American translators.

I find this fascinating, as one of my interests is trying to capture a sense of the vast history of our Christian faith. Now I know that this kind of study isn't everyone's "cup of tea"... but if you are interested, here is Psalm 151... and here is some information about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment