Sunday, March 21, 2010

Uncovering Church History

Living in Israel gave me a lifelong interest in studying the Bible.

But what happened next? I often wondered. The writings of the New Testament end in the infancy of Christianity, almost 2000 years ago. What happened next, as this Jewish Messianic sect - with its many non-Jewish converts - spread out into the Roman world?

My 2000-year gap in knowledge (between Biblical times and my own lifetime) has led me to a few interesting books: How the Irish Saved Civilization was one, providing fascinating insight into the medieval church in Europe, especially in Ireland. I remember thinking, as I read it: This is a medieval YWAM! (The traveling Christians of the middle ages reminding me of modern-day "Youth With a Mission"!)

A few years ago, I read a biography of Teresa of Avila...














Recently I started to read an early Church History written by Eusebius, a Church historian who lived around 300 AD. He was Bishop of Caesarea - now an archeological site, on the Mediterranean Sea, north of Tel Aviv in modern-day Israel. (Having visited the ruins, I can't imagine it a large, bustling city...)

What interests me particularly is the fact that - as usual - Christians are disagreeing! But instead of our modern-day disputes over the authority of the Bible, women priests, and same-sex marriages (issues my denomination is currently embroiled in), they are arguing over the nature of Jesus... and in response, create a creed that is still used in the church today, the Nicene Creed.

What does all this teach me?

That I should not be disappointed (as I have been) when Christians disagree. Faith is not static - in fact, if we don't probe and puzzle over faith issues, perhaps we're not giving them enough thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment