Monday, March 22, 2010

New Home Essentials

I remember laughing when home blood pressure monitors came out a few years ago - just before Christmas. ("A perfect gift for Grandma or Grandpa...") What next?!! Are we baby boomers becoming paranoid about our health?! Who would buy one of those?!

I'd shake my head every time I noticed them in the drug store... And then I began to wonder: Should I get one for my mother? She has high blood pressure... Or would she become overly-anxious about it?

I opted to leave it...

Then at my recent check-up, my doctor commented: Your blood pressure is a little high... Do you monitor it daily?

Do you mean, do I have one of those little machines at home?

She nodded.

No, I replied.

Well, you should probably get one. Your blood pressure might be higher here in the clinic than it is at home... Keep track of your readings...














So I went out and got one to check my blood pressure every morning...

(In case you're wondering, my blood pressure seemed quite high at first - but then the readings dropped considerably after I read the instructions on how to use the machine!)

No comments:

Post a Comment