Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fruitful, Not Busy

A while ago, I was watching an online interview clip by Joyce Meyer - where she made the comment: I have come to realize that God doesn't want me to be BUSY... God wants me to be FRUITFUL...

Ever since then, I have puzzled over her words - NOT because I DON'T agree with her (for I DO AGREE!) But I have wondered: How do I know the difference?!

When I think back on my student days, I remember sometimes feeling that an assignment the teacher had given our class to do was meaningless. BUSY-WORK, we called it. It really didn't teach me anything... I remember muttering under my breath: I really don't see the point in doing this! Why do I have to waste my time?! I have other (more important) things to do...!

But, in all fairness, as a teacher, there have been occasions when I knew students were wondering why I was asking them to do a certain something in class... Wasn't it a waste of time? (This usually occurred when I tried to take students out of their comfort zone and try something new.)

They couldn't see how it fit into the big picture... After all, weren't they here to learn this or that? So why was I - the teacher - asking them to do something else?

Wait, I'd tell them... Soon you'll see the reason... the big picture...

And the patient ones - the ones who trusted me and did what I asked to the best of their ability - usually did.

So what is the difference between being fruitful and being busy?

Well, I'm not sure I completely understand, but...

I remember a friend telling me about an event that happened to him - that astounded him. He was going through some difficult times in high school, and was wondering what to do with his life. About that time, someone he knew - a youth leader in church - invited him out for coffee.

As they were sitting and chatting, my friend poured out his heart to this youth leader, who in turn, made some comments that were really helpful. In fact, the words he said gave my friend renewed hope and a new perspective.

Some time later, my friend thanked the youth leader for what he had said that evening, and mentioned that their conversation had been a turning point in his life...

Really? the youth leader replied in amazement. I don't remember saying any of that!

That, I think, is an example of being fruitful... When God gives us the words to say that someone needs to hear - and we don't even realize it!

Sometimes, in the course of life, we find ourselves in jobs or situations we really don't understand - that seem to be a waste of time... But if we BELIEVE IN GOD, if God is our mentor and teacher, in the big picture, we can safely assume that there is a reason for what we are doing...

God doesn't waste our time - or His.

If we do what we can to the best of our ability in any given situation, and if we care about the people around us - and take time to be a good friend - maybe (unbeknown to us) God will use us to help others in ways we may never realize.

That, I think, is what it means to be FRUITFUL.

No comments:

Post a Comment