Thursday, March 25, 2010

Transitions

On April 1 - no fooling - my life is going to change... though I'm not sure how... or how much...

On that date, my husband will join me in retirement...

We will be together 24/7... with no jobs to take up large chunks of our day...

Can we handle that much togetherness?

It will be an adjustment, one aunt cautioned me.

I'm sure it will...

Hopefully we will transition into this new phase as successfully as we have into our other transitions. I remember how annoyed I was when Terry moved his books into my bookcase, after we were married... (I had moved into our apartment a few months earlier and had made it my own!) Eventually I got over it and viewed the apartment as ours, not mine...

Then there was parenthood. I couldn't wait to get out of the hospital and back home with our new baby. But Terry didn't want us to come home! He feared we might not be able to handle looking after our newborn...

Driving home with her, he gripped the steering wheel in panic as he inching slowly down the road... When we got home, he was furious that I wanted to linger outside to take her picture.


















She'll catch her death of cold!
he muttered... (Even though it was mid-summer!)

I think of relatives, a couple who work together in a family business. They share an office at work, but have divided the labor so as not to be constantly in each other's way...

That will probably be our best strategy too - to do things together, but divide up areas of responsibility. Then hopefully - like them - we'll still enjoy being together - as they do - years down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment