Tuesday, March 9, 2010

"Think Happy Thoughts!"

A friend - who takes weekly ballet classes for fitness and fun - recounted how her ballet instructor once told the class, Think happy thoughts when you do the steps... You'll do them better...

So instead of thinking - This is hard! Am I doing it right?! - she focused on thinking happy thoughts: I can do it! I can do it!

Only the teacher knows if the class improved by thinking happy thoughts - but my friend confessed that having a positive attitude made the challenge more fun!














Potted plants and flowers fill my mind with happy thoughts in winter... So my house is full of them. And my outdoor flower garden gives me joy in summer!

Joy is infections - smiles encourage - laughter relaxes - enthusiasm gives strength!

We all need enthusiasm to help us succeed.

On a recent trip to Toronto, I met a young woman who had recently opened a flower shop.

Is this really a good time to open a flower shop? I wondered. In hard economic times, do people really spend money on luxuries like flowers?

But she was succeeding... Her joy and enthusiasm were evident as she showed us the small vintage bottles and mason jars she used as vases. She loved the fact that she was able to sell reasonably-priced bouquets and re-cycle lovely old bottles and jars at the same time.

In fact, without any advertising (apart from her blog), she had generated enough business to keep going.

As we left her shop, I turned to my daughter... She loves what she does! I think that's one reason why customers keep coming back... Her flowers are lovely... but they also buy a little piece of her joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment