Sunday, July 31, 2022

How Many Steps?!

During my working years, I was on my feet most of the day in the classroom. But I didn’t appreciate the fact that I was on my feet - not sitting.. In fact, I thought that retirement would give me the opportunity to get in shape and walk more.

It didn’t turn out that way! The urge to sit and relax has been too strong. So - to motivate myself to walk more - I now carry a pedometer in my pocket, aiming to take 10,000 steps a day.

Why 10,000?!

I read that the popular number 10,000 wasn’t derived scientifically. Someone calculated that most people don’t walk enough - on average 5,000 steps a day. If we aimed to walk twice as much - or 10,000 steps - it would be better.


Recently I read that a 20-minute walk daily can add years to your life. 

Hmmm. I wonder how they determined that. 

It does sound doable most of the year in Canada. Maybe 20 minutes should be my next goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment