Wednesday, July 13, 2022

How Children Learn

My 2-year-old  grandson comes over every week.


His visits remind me how much children absorb in all they see and hear.

For example, he sees grandma pour coffee into a cup - then cover it with a lid - because she is easily distracted and she wants to keep the coffee from getting cold too quickly.


“Grandma, I want coffee,” he told me last time he was here. I poured him a little milk, then added a very small amount of coffee. I guess he wants to know what coffee tastes like.

“Here’s your coffee and milk,” I told him.

“I need a lid,” he replied - so I added one, realizing then that this was about more than taste.


“Do you want to go out for a walk?” I asked a while later. 

“I have to finish my coffee first,” he replied… echoing what I might say…

I smiled as I heard myself in his words! He’s taken it all in! 


No comments:

Post a Comment