Saturday, July 16, 2022

Using a “Swift”

Some yarn is sold in skeins - that need to be wound into balls before knitting. 

I’m sure everyone in our family remembers being asked to hold out their arms to help with the task… much as I helped my mother.


So I was pleasantly surprised when my cousin asked if I was interested in her “swift”. She no longer knits and her daughters didn’t want it.

I’ve never used one - so it was lots of fun trying. I should add that this one is quite old. It was used by my cousin’s grandmother, and possibly others before her.

I managed to tangle the yarn before it was done… (But then I did unravel the knots!) 

But - before long - I finished winding a skein of yarn into a ball - and was able to fold up this useful hand-made tool again… until next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment