Thursday, March 2, 2023

The Problem With Knitting...

The problem with knitting (or crochet) is that it's easy to develop a "stash" of yarn! It's a common problem! Fortunately I can use surplus yarn to make afghans.


My yarn tends to be acrylic - often bought on sale - because I like to throw stuff into the washer and dryer.

Here’s a little bin of yarn I've assembled for my latest crochet project. 

The only stuff I had on hand before I began was the large ball of purple on the floor.


This overlay mosaic crochet afghan is almost a third done. The design has to be repeated three times, and I’ve almost finished it once.

It's been an experiment in crocheting with two yarns in contrasting colors. I started with a white background - but later switched to dark - which has a more dramatic effect.


I also treated myself to a set of new crochet hooks with comfortable plastic handles - my birthday present to myself.

That's a little trick I employ whenever  I want to justify buying something for myself: I call it a birthday / valentine's day / Christmas / .... (fill in the blank) gift!  

Actually it's a CELEBRATION that I can still knit! A dozen years ago I couldn't knit without hand and wrist pain - after some marathon knitting projects. I thought I might have to give these hobbies up - a thought that left me very sad.

I then had physiotherapy, which eased the pain. But the biggest help of all was finding exercises for knitters online and doing them whenever pain returns. I also no longer knit or crochet for long periods of time and stop as soon as I feel the slightest discomfort.. On this particular project, I limit myself to two rows a day.

I'm just thankful I can still do it!


No comments:

Post a Comment