Thursday, March 23, 2023

Grandma, I need help...

There's a scam out there targeting grandparents. Someone calls, claiming to be the person's grandchild, in need of money for lawyer's fees or bail - or maybe even medical treatment. Sometimes the person says they're a lawyer calling on behalf of the grandchild who's in trouble with the law.

I read in the local news that one couple lost $8000, another $9000 in the scam. How can people be so gullible...? I wondered.


But I was caught off guard when the call also happened to me!

I was looking after my grandson J when a phone call - with a blocked number - came through. I couldn't see who was calling.

Hi Grandma, said a mature female voice. How are you?

I quickly assumed that my daughter-in-law was checking to see how her 3-year-old was doing. Otherwise why would she call me "grandma"?

Do you want to talk to J? I asked.

No. I want to talk to you. I have a big problem.

What? I asked.

I'm not feeling well, she replied. 

I'm not feeling great either, I said. In fact, I did a Covid test this morning before J arrived.

I made an appointment to see the doctor, she said. As I was driving over, my phone kept dinging. I quickly looked down to check it and I ran into a little old lady...

WHAT?!!

I rear-ended her car. I stopped and called the police. When they arrived , they arrested me for distracted driving. Now I'm in jail.

At this point, I became suspicious. That just wouldn't happen...

I have to go now, I said quickly. I'll call you right back. 

I immediately called my daughter-in-law, the person I thought I had been talking to.

Are you okay? I asked.

Yes, I'm working from home today. Why?

Someone just called - I thought it was you. They said they'd had a car accident and were in jail. I'm relieved you're okay.

Later I kept thinking about how easily and smoothly that stranger - that thief - had made me believe her.

I had been gullible, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment