Wednesday, March 15, 2023

I Can Do It Myself

She was coming to grandma's house for a sleepover. 

When the car approached the last intersection, she told her parents: "Let me out here. You can go now. I know the way. I can get there by myself."

So they did. Not wanting to thwart her independent spirit, they let her walk the last block on her own... as they watched. At the same time, they messaged me to say she was coming down the street by herself... and they sent me this picture: 


"Act surprised!"

I quickly unlocked the door, so that she could get in on her own. Then I watched for her through the window. A few minutes later, she bounded in, smiling. And all was well.

But the picture! It almost brought me to tears!

Why?!

A tiny figure in a big (cold) world...

Because she's growing up so fast? (And I'm not ready?!) 

Because I see myself in her independent spirit?

Or because - in spite of wanting them to grow into independence, as a mother (and now, a grandmother) I want to hold onto them forever!

I have a hard time letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment