Monday, February 10, 2020

Keep Happy!

It's easy to become discouraged on grey, cloudy days - and winter is full of them!

When I was a child, I really wasn't aware of the weather... Sometimes I think about that and wonder why.

But I did escaped harsh reality (such as cleaning my room) by reading... often a novel a day on weekends... They were light reading, of course... (Swallows and Amazons, Cherry Ames, PollyannaHardy Boys)... Fortunately, my parents encouraged this pastime. Eventually I moved on to longer books, like Alexandre Dumas' Three Musketeers, books that required more time .

Looking back, I think that reading was more than an escape. The vicarious adventures they provided led to my interests in travelling and in writing.

But life changes, interests change... I almost never read novels anymore. These days I prefer memoirs.

Escaping cleaning my room isn't my biggest problem these days either! Enjoying weeks and months indoors is! In the midst of winter cold and storms, I try to find contentment in things I enjoy: baking, pottery, knitting, quilting, blogging... and growing indoor flowers.

However we do it, those of us who live in a snowy climate for four or five months a year need to be intentional about finding our HAPPY PLACE. For many of us, this involves finding enjoyable pastimes...

It's important not let winter get us down!



No comments:

Post a Comment