Sunday, February 23, 2020

Hay Lake, Alberta Classroom

Among my mother’s photos, I came across this one of her class in Hay Lakes, Alberta.

It is dated 1948-1949. It must have been winter - Icicles are visible through the window.

The school was probably heated by a wood stove: I remember my mother commenting that teachers - in country schools - had to arrive early to get the stove going to warm the classroom before the children arrived.

There were two classes in that village school. My mother taught the younger pupils. Another teacher taught the older group...

There are certain things I don't remember: Did my mother’s class have set grades every year? Or did the two teachers divide the students into two equal groups?

I wonder what it was like to have the same students ... or the same teachers year after year...

 I’m impressed by the well-decorated, tidy classroom with solid wood desks.

When I asked my mother how hard it was to teach a multi-level classroom, she said that the older children helped the younger ones... so all learned to teach and help, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment