Friday, August 13, 2021

Interesting Magazine

I like to subscribe to magazines, especially Canadian ones. Over the years I’ve had subscriptions to Canadian Living, Canadian Geographic, Maclean’s, a Canadian home decorating magazine - and more. I‘ve also subscribed to American magazines: Martha Stewart (which is unfortunately no longer in publication), Writers’ Digest, National Geographic... The list could go on...

But eventually the magazines pile up. I usually end my subscription when I find myself overwhelmed with too many magazines I don’t want to part with!

A few years later, the cycle starts again! 











I currently subscribe to a magazine called Canadian History. Looking through the most recent issue, I was surprised to discover not one but two stories that are actually relevant to my own family history.











This photo story is about a family living in Hay Lakes, Alberta, when my father first moved there in 1929. The family name even sounds familiar. I don’t know how big Hay Lakes was then, but it was a village of about 300 when my father returned there in the mid-1940’s to open up a garage, Dick’s Repair Shop. My family and I lived in an apartment above the garage for the first six years of my life.











The second story was about a family that left Volhynia in the Ukraine around the time my mother’s family did. Entitled “Escape from Russia,” the story mirrors my mother’s immigration story.











I’ll definitely be tearing these stories out and keeping them in my “Family History“ file. I wish I had asked my parents and grandparents more questions... But I’m glad to have the information I do have.

No comments:

Post a Comment