Sunday, August 29, 2021

Armenian Pottery Souvenirs

Long before I ever took a pottery class, I loved hand-made pottery. One kind I collected was hand painted mugs and tiles created by Armenian potters in the Old City of Jerusalem.











Originally from Armenia, the potters were invited to Jerusalem to create tiles to decorate the gold-domed mosque in the Old City. When the mosque was completed, they continued to live and work in Jerusalem, selling their wares.



Whenever I could afford it, I’d buy a mug… 











Or sometimes a tile to hang on the wall.











The last time I visited the Old City, shortly after retiring, I wanted to add to my collection, but hand painted tiles were much more expensive than computer-generated ones - so I bought two computer generated table tiles.











I would never have been able to afford hand painted ones in these complex designs!

Such beautiful art!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment