Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Could We Go Back?!


















I spent the first six years of my life living in a small community - a village of about 300 in Alberta. 

What was it like for me as a child? Looking back, I think it nurtured my independence. It was total freedom! I remember spending my pre-school days wandering here and there, talking to people, hanging out with kids, seeing what people were doing. I knew everyone and everyone knew me. 

I’d get up in the morning and say: “I’m going out to play.” Where that day would take me was anyone’s guess! 

The village was only about four blocks by four blocks in size, surrounded on one side by a railway track, on the other three sides by farmers fields. There was no river to fear falling into. (Everyone pumped their water from a well.)

When I got hungry or thirsty, I headed home. If my parents wondered where I was, they’d simply ask someone if they’d seen me... 

For me, as a child, it was blissful freedom! (For my parents, pumping water by hand for all our needs, heating it on a wood stove - and all the other things they had to do - it was a lot of hard work!)

I should add that I never attended kindergarten for the simple reason that there was none in our community. 

The village of my childhood still exists - and it hasn’t grown much over the years. I now subscribe to their Facebook page.

Listen to this, I told Terry recently - as I read him the schedule of events at the August family fun fest (above)...


















If we lived in Hay Lakes, you could even get involved in village politics...You’d enjoy that!

For Terry, who grew up in a small town of 3,000 in Quebec, the idea definitely has appeal.

If Hay Lakes weren’t halfway across the country, we might consider going back!

No comments:

Post a Comment