Saturday, May 29, 2021

Trying to Live in Harmony With Lengthening Days

Since December I’ve been tracking our daylight hours here in Ottawa.












When I started, around Christmas, sunrise came around 7:40 am. Now, in late May, it’s light around 5:20 am. In December, the sun set around 4:20 pm. Now it’s light until almost 9.

From 9 to 15 hours of daylight in a little over 5 months is a noticeable difference! And it’s not over yet! Our days will continue to lengthen until late June. 

I recently read an article on how electricity has changed our sleep patterns. Before electric lights - and midnight TV - those who couldn’t sleep lay in bed resting. That too was part of the sleep cycle - or so the author of the article claimed.











Thinking about life before electricity - and because I’m a morning person - I decided to try to rise with the sun in the morning - and go to bed at 9, shortly after sundown.

Would I feel better living in sync with our daily daylight rhythms? How would it affect me? That’s what I was curious to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment