Sunday, May 2, 2021

Love Languages

I’ve been reading a lot of interesting books recently. One way or another, a lot have come my way!











When someone recently mentioned the term “love languages,” I recognized the term. I’d heard it before - but I didn’t know what it meant...

My public library had a copy of the book - so I borrowed it.

“Love languages”is the term coined by the author, a professional marriage and family therapist, to mean expressions of love or affection. It appears that each of us responds to some things more than others.

When I read about the first “love language” - words of affirmation - I thought about my parents. They’d had personality clashes during the busy years when I was growing up. But after my brother and I left home, they read about a couple who had been challenged to replace criticism with kind words. They started to speak only kind words to each other, and - like the couple in the article - their marriage was transformed!

The other four “love languages “ are: quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service or helping and physical touch.

The book was an interesting read - with well-told stories to illustrate each love language.

Now I’m wondering if I should buy the book to lend to others!

I don’t love the cover, which implies this book is about romantic love. It is - in part - but realizing that different people respond to different types of encouragement and affection is important in other contexts as well. 

Had I been aware of this as a parent and as a teacher, I might have been more sensitive to the fact that not everyone responds to words. Do some need gifts or certificates of recognition? Sometimes talking the time to talk to someone (even in the midst of a busy schedule) is more meaningful than any gift.

There are several books in the series. I’ve requested one on “love languages for teenagers“ from the public library. There are no teenagers in my life at the moment but I’m hoping that it will give more examples of how to express caring.

I highly recommend this very readable book.

No comments:

Post a Comment