Monday, December 21, 2020

Shortest Day

Today is considered the “shortest day of the year” here in Canada, which really means that we have the least hours (or minutes) of possible sunlight. 

A week ago, our daylight hours were between 7:35 and 4:20...


As our winter solstice approached, the days became shorter... (Another 5 minutes of daylight lost in the few days between these screen shots of our weather forecast...)


















I remember my father counting down to this date every winter - as I now do - then cheerfully remarking (after December 21st) that “the days are getting longer.” 

As a child and teenager, I remember thinking: What’s the big deal?!











But now that I’m older, I also notice daily how dark my morning is until the sun comes up and how early darkness comes in late afternoon. 

Do we become more sensitive to daylight hours as we age?!

During my teaching years, I remember arriving at work before daylight, at 7:15 and leaving in the dark at 5 pm. 

Another day missed!!

I wonder if we’re all affected by daylight - or the lack of it - in the same way...


No comments:

Post a Comment