Thursday, December 31, 2020

My Crocheted Dress

I have been going through my clothing - with the aim of clearing out things I no longer wear. Some of the things I own are handmade - which makes them a little harder to part with, especially if they have a special memory attached to them!


















One such outfit is this turquoise dress and jacket.

I remember being invited to a new year's eve party - back when I was a university student. I didn't feel I had anything appropriate to wear - and I didn't have much money to spare.  Then I came across a pattern for a lacy crocheted dress... It looked quick and easy to make... and it was! (Though nothing is ever as easy as one thinks!)

The problem, as I recall, was suddenly realizing that, with its lacy holes, I'd need to wear a matching slip under it... I found some fabric that matched... But this time I had no pattern - or sewing machine. So I cut out a slip and sewed it by hand!

I managed to finish it all in time for the party!


















A few years later, I wan't wearing the dress much, so I gave it to my mother, who at the time was teaching crafts in her high school home economics class. I thought she could use it as a sample. 

She did more than that: she began to wear it, after creating a more professional-looking slip to go under it. She also made a matching jacket with leftover yarn (The jacket seen above)... She wore it a lot - when crocheted dresses were in style.

I don't know when the dress was last worn - but it's hard to get rid of a dress that brings back memories like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment