Sunday, August 2, 2020

Phlox ... in Different Colors

A few days ago, I mentioned how I came to plant phlox in my flower beds.

I intended to show photos of the different colors of phlox that I have in the yard...

The white ones - in the back yard next to the hedge - aren't as prolific as some of the others.

As an aside: I'm not a fan of the plastic net fence I put up years ago - to keep a neighbor's dogs from darting through the hedge to use our yard as their bathroom. The dogs are long gone, but I keep the fencing there because I want to mark a boundary for the hedge. Uncontrolled, hedges can grow very wide, and I don't want this one - which is actually in our neighbor's yard  - to overwhelm our yard - in particular, my flower bed. Every time we trim the hedge on our side, we cut it back to the plastic fencing.

Hmmm, that was a long explanation!

The two-tone pink seem to do best in our yard. I have divided them several times, and everywhere I put them, they proliferate.

Each pink flower has a darker pink spot in the center.





The pinkish-purple ones do quite well.

Later in summer, some red phlox usually bloom. Their color clashes a bit with the purple, so I'm glad they come out a little later than the rest.

If I were to add any perennials to my garden, I would probably choose earlier or later blooming phlox. The  bright luminosity of their petals adds a striking dash of color wherever they bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment