Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Physiotherapy

I've discovered that I have "chronic tendinitis"... (and a little arthritis) in both my wrists... It shouldn't surprise me. Many of the hobbies I've enjoyed for years - quilting, knitting, pottery, gardening (to name a few) involve working with my hands... And once I get started, I have a hard time quitting, even after feeling the warning signals of pain.

I know I simply don't heal as quickly as I used to when I was young... That's hard to accept...

I've been plagued with nagging wrist discomfort for the past few years, but recently it worsened. Even the simple movement of twisting an elastic in my hair suddenly caused excruciating pain...

Time to see a physiotherapist!

I've been going twice a week for over a month now, and my left wrist (the one that hurt the most) is almost pain free!

I've had electric shock treatment, ultrasound treatment, hot wax treatment, acupuncture, massage, exercises and even taping - to prevent certain movements - as in the picture here...

I've never been athletic... but I so appreciate sports - big business sports that I never watch - because, thanks to big business sports, physiotherapy has evolved into an amazing healing tool...

I sometimes think about how, in my grandparents' era, an injury remained an injury, pain was part of getting old...  That's just the way life was!

But we no longer have to put up with all pain. Some can be cured by physiotherapy... And, for that, I'm very, very thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment