Friday, October 20, 2017

"Maple Lawn" in October

One of the loveliest old gardens in our part of town is the historic Maple Lawn garden.

Surrounded with a stone wall, it was established, in the nineteenth century, as part of a farm.












Eventually the city grew, surrounding the farm.













Fortunately both the garden and the farmhouse survived. A lovely old building, the farmhouse now serves as a restaurant











Modern buildings have sprouted up all around - but there are a few empty fields nearby.












Whenever I come here, I look at what is in bloom - and compare it to the flowers blooming in my garden











Volunteers tend the Maple Lawn garden, so it isn't as overgrown as mine!












On my last visit, I was impressed by the number of butterflies flitting about!












One of my gardening goals is to come here every few weeks in the summer - to pick up gardening tips and ideas!











Like my garden - there isn't a lot in bloom at this time of year.












But I was pleased to see that I have some of the same plants that make this garden lovely in fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment