Saturday, August 13, 2016

Antique Cars in Merrickville

Walking around Merrickville, during the Canal Fest, we came across some antique cars..

It occurred to me - as I looked at them - that my father would have known how to repair them!






In fact, he probably learned his skills as a mechanic fixing cars like these!










They are all Fords - my father's favorite make of car...











It also occurred to me - as I looked at the leather "trunk" attached to the back bumper, that this is why we call the back storage area a trunk!

(In England, on the other hand, a car "trunk" is called a "boot" - and the "hood," up front, is called a "bonnet"!)

I remember reading that early cars frightened horses on the road, so a law was suggested - that flagmen be required to walk in front of motorized vehicles! 

When were stickers invented?! I know they were around in the 1960's? But in the 1920's? I'm not sure that they had stickers back then. Though many no doubt wanted to "repeal prohibition"!


No comments:

Post a Comment