Sunday, August 17, 2014

Walking... and Talking

When my kids were younger, if I asked: What did you do at school today? 
They'd invariably shrug and answer: Nothing.

But if we went for a walk, all kinds of stories would come bubbling out! (I soon concluded that the only way to discover what was happening in my children's world was to take walks with them!) I often wondered why that was...

Recently I read something that reminded me of those evening walks...

While walking Spain's 800 kilometer Camino de Santiago with hundreds of others, Jane Christmas often found herself walking with different people. In her book about it she comments: "Walking releases two things: endorphins and conversation. It is exercise and therapy rolled into one. Words, thoughts, and ideas bubble up from the depth of your soul. There is something about walking and talking side by side that makes conversations more candid than they would be face-to-face. What you have to say isn't influenced by your walking partner's facial reaction."

I never considered the aspect of facial reactions - but walking definitely does churn up thoughts and ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment