Sunday, August 10, 2014

Natural Mood Lifters

One of the e-newsletters I subscribe to recently had an article on 15 "natural mood lifters." They included things like listening to favorite music, exercising outdoors (on a nice day), and spending time with a pet. The smell of baking was another on the list that I could identify with... I'd add the smell of stew simmering on a cold day.

The article made me reflect on a few other things that have the power to cheer me up.
  • chatting with friends or family - in person, online or via skype - especially if they have a sense of humor or a happy story to share















  • quilting - dreaming up a pattern - that comes together well (I've had my share of disappointments, too!)
  • ditto for knitting and crochet, painting and pottery. They also lift my spirits - but only when the things I'm working on turn out as well or better than I expected.















  • being surrounded with flowers - indoors or out
  • going out for a good meal (no dishes to clean up) 















  • sharing a meal with family or friends
  • spending time with a good book















  • occasional travel (I like the comfort of home, too!)
  • praying (sensing God's presence)
The article suggested being aware of things that have the power to cheer us up - so that we can turn to them when we need emotional strength... and practice them on a daily basis to keep a healthy balance in life's inevitable ups and downs.

No comments:

Post a Comment