Friday, August 15, 2014

And for Blisters...

If I picture in my mind my childhood bathroom medicine cabinet, I see a small shelf of basics: aspirin, iodine, band-aids and Vaseline. There was no collection of creams like those I have managed to collect.

When my children were small, I stopped buying aspirin. The doctor recommended different pain killers. Once I no longer changed diapers, I stopped buying petroleum jelly (Vaseline)...

Why?! The name says it all! Who wants to rub a petroleum product on their skin?!

My mother, however, continued to use Vaseline on her hands and feet.


In the book I recently read on the 800-kilometer Camino de Santiago walk, not surprisingly, there was talk of blisters and other foot problems as people, unaccustomed to so much walking, aimed to complete 20 kilometers a day.

Early in the walk, after getting blisters like everyone else, the author was told by an experienced Camino walker to use Vaseline as a foot cream to avoid blisters.

Amazingly, it worked! No more blisters erupted!







Interesting!

Now I have gone out and bought... some Vaseline, too! You never know when it might come in handy!





No comments:

Post a Comment