Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chocolate Sauce Recipe

I didn't do much baking last Christmas: just whole wheat cinnamon buns and chocolate sugar cookies - which went well with ice cream. But something was missing: chocolate sauce for the ice cream!

















I remembered an easy recipe I used to make years ago. It was on the cocoa container... (Don't remember which brand.) I checked, but there was no recipe on the container I had. So I did an online search, and came up with a different recipe for chocolate sauce on the blog of David Lebovitz, an American chef living in Paris.

He calls it his "basic black dress" recipe - it goes well with everything.

It was pretty simple:

In a saucepan, mix together and bring to a boil, STIRRING CONSTANTLY:
1 cup (250 ml) water
1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
1/2 cup (160 g) corn syrup
3/4 cup (75 g) unsweetened cocoa powder

Then add a handful, or more precisely 2 ounces (55 g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped, and stir till the chocolate chips melt.

















Refrigerate for several hours before using.

I didn't bring the mixture to a boil as the instructions said to remove from heat when it begins to "simmer" - perhaps I should have left it a few minutes longer. Then when I added the chocolate chips, I didn't chop them, so they didn't completely melt and the texture wasn't completely smooth. It was also not as sweet as the sauce I remember from my childhood. But if you like a thick chocolate sauce that isn't very sweet - this one is for you! It was easy to make - and gets thicker the longer it stays in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment