Friday, January 6, 2012

Lentil Soup

I decided to try another soup recipe from the (online) South Dakota Diabetes Control Program cookbook. The lentil soup looked interesting - and I didn't have to go out and buy any ingredients. I had everything I needed in the cupboard.
I won't repeat the recipe here - click on the link to it (and accompanying nutritional information) above. It was easy! I simply put all the ingredients into a pot and let it simmer for 2 to 3 hours.














The recipe calls for 2 cups of dry lentils. I added one cup each of orange and green, as I had both. I also used frozen broth I had on hand. After an hour or so, the soup started to get thick, so I added more liquid.














After several hours, it ready to eat. The tomatoes made a colorful broth and remained in large chunks (visible above).

When I re-heated the leftovers, I again added a little more liquid - plus some spicy salsa, about a tablespoon per bowl of soup! Frankly, I preferred it that way - not quite as thick, and a little more spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment