Sunday, January 8, 2012

I Need ... PATIENCE

From time to time I read bits of Joan Chittister's commentary on The Rule of Benedict and reflect on what the 1,600-year-old Benedictine Christian document can say to me today.

The words that jump out at me today are Joan Chittester's - not Benedict's. The theme is being patient amid hardships.

"We are a people without patience. We do not tolerate process," she writes. (Page 88, italics mine.)

So true! So true of me! I want to grow as a Christian wife/mother/friend/writer/ artist/woman of faith (and the list goes on...!) I want my children to have strong character, to find satisfying careers, to build strong families and strong faith. But growth is a process... (Their growth and mine!) It happens in tiny steps.

Do not despise small beginnings, the Bible reminds us... Process takes time... And I... I need PATIENCE ... as I take my daily (tiny) steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment