Monday, January 16, 2012

Preparing The World's Longest Skating Rink

Ottawa is proud to have the world's longest outdoor skating rink, weather permitting! Weather permitting, the Rideau Canal and Dow's Lake (a man-made lake that is part of the canal system) are transformed into a skating rink that attracts thousands of skaters every winter.

I sometimes come by once skating begins, but I rarely see the ice being prepared...

















But this year I did. As we were driving by Dow's Lake, city employees were busy drilling holes into the ice that had formed... and pumping up water from the lake to create a thick, smooth surface. (I always wondered how they did it!)

















I have never seen them flooding the ice before. I wonder if they start at Dow's Lake and continue until they have flooded all along the 7.8 kilometer (approximately 5-mile) canal! The ice is already strong enough to hold the workers, but skating isn't permitted until the ice is strong enough for trucks and equipment to drive on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment