Saturday, January 21, 2012

My Online Learning!

My parents had an encyclopedia that they used daily. Whenever they encountered a place or a word they had never heard, they would "look it up"!

I do the same - but using the internet! Recently I was looking up the name of an ancient city I had never heard of before. I discovered it was in ancient Turkey. Reading a bit more, I saw a reference to Celtic invasion...

Surely not the Irish Celts, I thought... But a few more clicks showed me that, yes, the Celtic culture had once expanded into Europe. In fact, in the 3rd century BC they had invaded the Balkans and parts of present-day Turkey. Moreover, Celts didn't originate in Ireland, but in present day Austria!

Where did I get the idea that ancient civilizations simply stayed put! That we are the first world travelers... (Well, apart from Marco Polo and Christopher Columbus, 1500 years later!)

(I have so much to learn!)

No comments:

Post a Comment