Friday, December 23, 2011

Chocolate Sugar Cookies

My mother used to do a lot of Christmas baking, starting (in November) with two Christmas fruit cakes - light and dark, which had to sit for several weeks before we ate them. Then there were the many varieties of Christmas cookies, like shortbread and thumbprint cookies, traditional in many homes at that time.

Years ago, I made all these treats... But I eventually stopped. Experience taught me that I would end up eating most of them, as my family doesn't eat raisins or nuts - which are essential in a lot of those traditional recipes!














This year, I decided to make one batch of cookies: sugar cookies. And while I was at it, perhaps they could be CHOCOLATE sugar cookies, if there was such a thing, as I love chocolate... So I did an online search and found this amazing recipe at the Joy of Baking website.


















Perhaps I should have used the dough hook on my new mixer...














I say they were "amazing" because the unbaked dough is absolutely delicious... (I know you're not supposed to eat it... But I couldn't resist.)














The baked cookies are delicious, too! I would definitely make them again. I don't plan to ice them. Cute and delicious with a cup of tea... or as an accompaniment to ice cream and chocolate sauce. (My family doesn't like traditional Christmas pudding either!)

No comments:

Post a Comment