Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Horsey Memories



My mother and father grew up on farms - so both were familiar with horses. My father talked of plowing fields using horses in Alberta, when he first arrived as an immigrant from Poland. My mother rode a horse to school near Edmonton, as it was too far to walk.

I find it hard to believe, but horse and buggy were their normal mode of transportation until a decade before I was born!

For me - and now my children and grandchildren - horses are simply for fun. I always wanted to have a horse as a pet. But I never did. 

Like my granddaughter, I took riding lessons - but horses were so big, so intimidating! Before long, I lost interest.

My own children expressed little interest in horses. But as children they enjoyed pony rides. One summer our while family went white water rafting and took a memorable trail ride on horseback. It was so much fun - and so scary - that the experience was etched in our memories! We still laugh about it from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment