Sunday, December 24, 2023

My Mother's' Childhood Christmas

This old fashioned Christmas picture reminds me of stories my mother told me about her childhood...

These days, children go to bed early on Christmas Eve so that Santa can deliver toys...




Not in my mother's childhood years! Instead, on Christmas Eve, the whole family would pile into a horse-drawn sleigh and head to church for a special Christmas service. When they eventually got back, around midnight, they'd eat a special supper of roast goose.



Roast goose at midnight?! I'd exclaim. Who wants a big meal at midnight?

I didn't ask if someone had to stay home to tend the oven... You surely wouldn't leave the house for several hours - with a roast bird cooking - would you?! Maybe you would! 

After eating, they opened gifts. 

(I don't know when they finally all got to bed?)

No comments:

Post a Comment