Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Keeping Busy in Almonte

Several weekends ago, my son invited me to see a musical about the history of Almonte's textile mills.



The play was really well done. It shared a lot of historical information about the woollen mills that were a major industry in the town's early years. At one time, there were 15 working mills powered by the Mississippi River in Almonte. Not sure if they were all related to textiles - or if  flour mills and the like were included in the total. I learned that the khaki fabric used for Canadian military uniforms during the two world wars all came from Almonte.

It occurred to me - as I was watching the musical - how effectively a play can convey the spirit of the times, though it's hard to have a story line that spans 150 years.


Then last weekend, we attended the town's pre-Christmas festival called "Light Up the Night."


My granddaughter was again a "Twinkle Fairy" - and we were there to cheer her on!

The evening ended with fireworks...

Lots of fun for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment