Monday, December 4, 2023

How Children Learn

Grandma, do you know what I want? I want a Barbie car. A purple car with four seats - for four Barbies.

I didn't know there was such a thing, I replied. Let's check if there's one on Amazon. 

I picked up my cell phone did a search. Sure enough, a purple Barbie car appeared. It had four seats.


I'll take a picture of this to remember, I told my granddaughter, clicking on two buttons to copy my screen.

How did you do that? she asked. 

If I press these buttons at the same time, I said, it takes a picture of the screen.

Can I try?

Sure, I replied and handed her my phone.

A few minutes later, I looked over..

Look what I did, she said. Don't erase them. I want to look at them again later.


I stared at the dozens of screen grabs she had done in just a few minutes!


That's how children learn: Willing to try something new, they go at it - FEARLESSLY, willing to make mistakes. Adults, especially older ones, born before smart phones were invented - would be FEARFUL, HESITANT - afraid something might break!

(Is there something in between...? Fearless ... but careful?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment