Thursday, February 2, 2023

"Lost Villages" Mystery Writer


A while back, I came across a newspaper article about a mystery writer whose stories take place in the Lost Villages - the communities that were flooded in the building of the St. Lawrence Seaway in the 1950's.


My neighbor Mary grew up the area, so I asked her if she had ever heard of the writer.


She had. They had both grown up in the same town. Mary had been friends with the writer's sister. 

Mary went on to say:

What I remember the most about Maggie was that she loved to read.  Long Sault didn't actually have an official library building so they used the basement of the Anglican Church.  At one point she said she was going to read every book there.   If she did actually accomplish this, it would not have surprised me. 

Hearing about this young girl's determination to read every book in her small town library made me think of all the books I have yet to read in my own personal library.


I definitely need some of that same determination!


It would be interesting to read more about the Lost Villages as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment