Friday, February 24, 2023

An Old Knitting "Friend"

The knitting anthology I'm currently enjoying - A Stash of One's Own - is reacquainting me with some of my old knitting "friends": famous knitters whose books have mentored me over the years.



One such mentor is Elizabeth Zimmermann, who had a PBS knitting series in the 1950's... which I watched in re-runs years later, when I found some VHS copies in my public library.



















Now I'm discovering how she - and other well-known knitters - dealt or deal with their "stashes" of yarn...




One astounding Elizabeth Zimmermann knitting trick was to snip into a completed sweater to create an "afterthought pocket." (Even her daughter gasped when she did that on TV!) 

She was a fearless knitter who must have taken her knitting along everywhere. She was once stopped by a police officer for knitting as she rode as a passenger behind her husband on his motorcycle.

Sir, do you realize your passenger is knitting?(!!)



 
Her books have the same conversational style as her televised knitting program.

Fortunately I've also been able to collect a lot of her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment