Sunday, February 5, 2023

Interesting Realization

For a long time now I've enjoyed exercises in stream of consciousness writing. The practice was suggested by two writing teachers I admire - Natalie Goldberg (Writing Down the Bones) and Julia Cameron (The Artist's Way). 

I recently started a new series of personal reflections - using this prayer journal as a take-off point.



Each chapter started with a Bible verse to reflect on in stream of consciousness writing. I was enjoying it...



... until this verse came along...




I'll skip it, I told myself after reading it... and moved on. 

This happened several times... What don't I like about this verse? I wondered.

Then it struck me! 

I was never encouraged to be gentle and quiet in my whole life! There was no "Children should be seen but not heard" in our family.

Instead, my parents encouraged my brother and me to speak out and give our opinions. Family is a democracy, my father would say.

It wasn't really - not when parents hold the purse strings. But, looking back, I'm really thankful my parents were always interested in hearing our points of view. It taught me to think for myself - and to be assertive. 

(Which is why I have never ever in my life wished for a gentle and quiet spirit!... I guess that's a confession!)

No comments:

Post a Comment