Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Knitting Stash

My winter indoor organizing has included dealing with my yarn stash - bringing all my various bits and skeins together - so that I can see what I actually have and find what I'm looking for more easily.

This Mari Kondo tip (keeping items that are the same together in one place) has been a great organizing tool in other areas of my life as well.

It has also made me realize that I have a yarn "stash"!

Interestingly, I am also reading an anthology of knitters writing about their personal yarn "stashes." The book is entitled: A Stash of One's Own: Knitters on Loving, Living With, and Letting Go of Yarn.


I never really gave much thought to the meaning of having a "stash" of anything - whether it be yarn, fabric, books... or whatever. In fact, I've sometimes viewed my collection as a weakness. (One minimalist in my family views it as akin to hoarding,  hinting that I may need an intervention!!)

So it was liberating to read: "the relationship between stitcher and yarn goes far beyond simply being prepared. A yarn stash is a declaration of self-esteem."' It is a stake in the ground that says "My passion is worthwhile."

(Wow! I may have found my community - others who understand my "need" to collect!)

No comments:

Post a Comment